• When he made his Test debut, Sachin Tendulkar was the third youngest debutant to play Test cricket at 16 years 205 days. He still remains the youngest Indian to appear in Tests. Mushtaq Mohammed at 15 years 124 days is the youngest debutant.
• He holds the record for the most number of Test appearances for India (159). Only Steve Waugh (168) has played more Tests.
• He became the second Indian, after Sunil Gavaskar, to cross the 10,000-run mark in Tests. However, along with Brian Lara, he is the fastest to score 10,000, both achieving it in 195 innings.
• Sachin has scored the maximum number of runs by any player away from home. In 87 Tests and 146 innings, he has 7,165 runs.
• He is now the highest run-getter in Tests — 12,773.
• He has scored Test hundreds against all Test playing nations and over 1000 runs against all Test playing nations with the exception of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.
• Second most capped cricketer in one-day Internationals (436 games). Only Sanath Jayasuriya (441) has played more matches than him.
• Appeared in 185 consecutive ODIs between April 1990 to April 1998.
• Scored most runs (17,178) in ODIs.
• Has most number of hundreds (45) and fifties (91).
• Has most scores in 90s (17) in ODIs.
• Has most scores of 99 (3) in ODIs.
• Is the first player to reach 10,000 to 17,000 runs in ODIs.
• Has been involved in most 100-plus stands (91) in ODIs.
• Has scored nine ODI centuries against Australia, which is the highest for any batsman against a single team.
• Has 3,005 runs against Australia, the most by any batsman against a single team.
• Holds the record for the highest individual score by an Indian in ODIs. (186 n.o. vs NZ).
• Has scored 1,000 runs in a calendar year most times (7) — 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2007.